Click for HOME
Construction Articles
All About Project33
Facts & Figures
Monthly Report
Search this Site
The P33 Toybox
Helpful Tools
Project33 Gallery
Email Project33
Awesome Motors!
21-Nov-04 Flashback to Final Assembly Part 1

Déjà Vu all over again.



Image
It's time for a flashback! A flashback for me anyway, since you haven't seen it before. It's time to get you up to date with everything that's happened since the second week of August!. That's when final assembly started and this picture was taken.

I hauled the frame home from the paint booth before the body so I could get a couple days head start assembling it. The engine was still sitting along the wall and I had a workbench to install there. The workbench legs and tops had been cut (you can see them in the next photo of the chassis) and the cupboards had been hung on the wall above. At this point the garage was still a mess from all the bodywork.

Some final buffing was done to the frame while it was still in the rotisserie made from the two engine stands. A couple coats of a good quality wax were applied before assembly to protect it and so the hard to reach areas would be well coated with wax.
ImageToby's Custom Polishing shares the same building as Ken's Auto, the body shop where we painted the car. The shop's owner, Virg, is a fellow car nut and can bring a shine to just about anything.

There are some things that aren't worth my time and test of patients to polish, even though I own a polisher. The wheels are a good example. I decided to polish the backsides of the wheels to the same luster as the fronts since this is an open wheel car. Virg has a special polisher that can get inside the wheels. I would need to hold them up to the polisher to do them myself, so I hired him to work his magic.
ImageThe end result was well worth it! I had him remove the wheel weights and I’ll have the wheels rebalanced when we’re finished showing the car and start to actually DRIVE it like it was intended. In the meantime the lack of weights makes for a cleaner look.
Image
Final assembly started from the ground up in approximately the same sequence as the initial mock-up was performed. The front and rear suspension had been removed as complete units so reassembly of the entire suspension required the installation of only sixteen bolts. Much of the project's reassembly time involved cleaning and polishing every piece before installing it.

It was great to finally be able to tighten everything down. Throughout the build the majority of components were never tightened down since they'd have to be removed later for paint. I also made a point not to fully install any Nylock nuts because it lessens their locking ability if they've been previously used.

I had to go to the website several times during the final assembly to "remember" how I'd installed things the first time. The website has already proven to be the best owner's manual a guy could ever hope for.

To be continued :)